Sunday, March 29, 2009

Sen sisters to walk the ramp

The controversy over she not being sexy enough to carry off an item song might have every reason to confuse and disappoint her. But, Raima would rather push the memories of the whole episode behind her and move on to other things. And one of the reasons keeping her in high spirits now, is the fact that she will be returning to Kolkata on April 1 to walk the ramp for the weavers at the Kolkata Fashion Week. Joining her for the same event, would be sister Riya.


By her own admission, it’s been “many, many years” since Raima walked the ramp in Kolkata. “Every year, I’ve done shows in Delhi and Mumbai. I’m happy to know that Kolkata is also organising its own fashion week and am waiting to see how it goes. I’ll be walking the Kolkata ramp after many, many years,” she says about her show on April 2.

Though the siblings will not be showcasing the same designers’ creations, any professional work that brings the sisters back to their hometown, is celebration enough. “Since we belong to Kolkata, the fact that this fashion week is being held in the city, makes it all the more special for us,” says Riya, adding, “I’m always happy to come back to Kolkata, especially when work takes me there. I do a lot of ramp walks. But every time I walk the ramp, it feels like I’m doing it for the first time. The experience remains novel.”

As for movies, the sisters are poised at an interesting stage in their career, what with both balancing work in art house Bengali films and commercial Hindi cinema. Apart from Rituparno Ghosh’s Noukadubi that has the siblings in the same film, Raima is also in talks with two Bengali directors. “Since I haven’t signed anything yet, I wouldn’t wish to reveal the details now. Aparna Sen’s The Japanese Wife should release sometime this year. I’m also awaiting the release of Vinay Shukla’s Mirch, that also has Konkona and Shahana Goswami. That apart, there’s Leena Yadav’s Teen Patti with Amitabh Bachchan and Madhavan,” says Raima.
Riya, who has supposedly given one of her career’s best performances in Noukadubi, hasn’t taken up any new Bengali projects. “I’m busy with two Hindi mainstream films, the shooting of which will begin soon. Besides, I’m awaiting the release of Paying Guest.”

Till such time that the big screen dazzles with their sensational presence, Kolkata will only be too happy to host the Sens.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Bookmark and Share